Review: Himalaya’s Gentle Exfoliating Walnut Scrub

By | 11:15 AM 3 comments

Let’s start with an open secret. No girl in her right mind can do without a face scrub. It exfoliates by cleaning dead skin...you know the ugly stuff you can’t really see, but is definitely there. It also helps remove stuff that you can see – the dreaded blackheads and whiteheads. It’s an essential part of any skincare routine – a step before cleansing-toning-moisturizing – and must not be missed. Having said that, scrubs are not to be used everyday. Twice a week is ideal.  I tried out Himalaya’s Gentle Exfoliating Walnut Scrub (Rs 130) for 4 weeks before I came to the following conclusions.

The Dope
Yes, cleansing and toning is mighty important to keep the skin squeaky clean and healthy. But a lot of us, strangely enough, forget to scrub. A good scrub gets rid of the junk you’ve carrying on your face as well as cleans away the dead skin. This simple skin care routine, which we often ignore, can make your skin feel alive again. Remember Rocky running up those stairs and celebrating…that’s your skin after a good scrub down.

The scrub contains walnut shell granules and a lot of it. Walnut is a superfood. If you didn’t know that yet, what rock have you been living under? It helps lock in moisture and is filled with healthy fats.



I have massively oily skin and I’m tired of scrubs that cheap out on the scrub portion of it. Since this walnut scrub from Himalaya had plenty of hard granules, it exfoliated like a dream. Its cream based, so it’s easy to get a good scrub on. It’s on the stronger side of life, which meant I couldn’t use it more than twice a week. But on the days that I did use it, my skin was oil free for 4-6 hours after.



It cleans thoroughly and since my skin had such less oil, breakouts were at bay too! The packaging says it has Apple (yum!), mild notes of which can be found in the scent of the scrub. I’m not going to talk about the scent much, since it’s largely medicinal. I don’t mind it because as a face scrub, it gets the works done well. Apple is supposed to have natural antioxidants and vitamin C, so yay to that!

One of the main reasons I like this scrub is for its lack of microbeads. Over the past few decades, microbeads have replaced traditionally used biodegradable materials like walnut shells, salt, apricot etc. in scrubs. These microbeads are made of polyethylene (PE), polypropylene (PP), polyethylene terephthalate (PET), polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) and nylon. When washed down the drain, the sewer filtration systems cannot trap them as they are very minute and end up reaching the ocean and never break down. Like plastic, microplastic beads like these are a serious threat to ocean life. I’ve been making a conscious effort in buying personal care products that do not have microbeads and I’m glad this scrub is one of them.

Here's the brand on FacebookYoutube and Website  


3 comments: Leave Your Comments

  1. Hey Aditi,
    What about guys who have oily skin? I have oily skin..but I never used any face scrub..I rarely use any soap on my face as it leaves my skin dry and it starts cracking and eventually hurts..even while I smile!
    What should I do? Should I use this face scrub? Or is it only for girls?
    Even though, I have never used any cream, soap, scrub on my face, I never faced any problem. So why use it in the first place? What happens to the skin (the oily skin, in my case) if one doesn't use a cream or soap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anonymous,
    So the key for oily skin is not to wash too often. Because if you do...the skin thinks "oh im dry lets produce more oil and ends up becoming oiler". So washing your face once in the morning and once after bed is ideal. But if your face hurts then... then maybe you should use super light soap like baby soap. It's very mild and contain comparatively less chemicals. Try it - I used to have sensitive skin as a teen and used baby soap right up till i was 18-19.

    Scrubs help in removing dead skin. Maybe the dead skin build up on your face is lots since you don't use soap. Once in a while try using scrub just to clean and start fresh...follow it up with a moisturizer and then use baby soap.

    If you find scrubs harsh too, perhaps consider ubtan. Hope this helps!



    ReplyDelete

What do you think?